Wednesday, June 6, 2007

Nippon

June 5

I am listening to jeff buckley right now and it is taking me back to my time in japan. I used to listen to this cd while I walked to the train station from one of my rural schools. Everything was closed even though it was 9 at night. I passed an odd assortment of things; silhouettes of Japanese families through rice paper windows, crazy neon lights, a very weird Japanese meathead gym and at the end I’d cross a large bridge to arrive at the station that would take me home to nagano. Even though it could get quite lonely there I think it was good for me and now I long for those days of anonymity. I kind of enjoyed that if I turned my phone off no one would know where I was in the world….sort of zen..well for me anyway. It is funny how the word “home” is totally relative….if you have not read global soul by pico iyer I totally recommend it. He discusses the global community and how we often can fit where we don’t expect to…..he is East Indian and oddly enough, calls japan home.

2 comments:

lu said...

i LOVE that cd, so haunting is such a great way, good for thinking.

i am home right now, i know what you mean about finding home.

want to come and visit me at my home?! come on, just for a bit...

kels said...

believe me i really want to...i will one day i promise.