Thursday, October 25, 2007

i got phished!

$%^@

I would use real and colourful language but I do believe there are more descriptive words to describe this situation....ok not really... I just want to swear to the the high heavens about this. So here is the deal...my bank has been calling me non-stop and since I can see it is a 1-866 number I have been 'avoiding' the calls. Yes they could be calling for something important and this has crossed my mind which would explain my lack of brain cells about two hours ago. In my junk mail was a message from my bank asking me to log in and update my security information....

In my brain at that moment...

"Ooooooh so THAT is why they are calling. Ugh what a pain, is this why they have been calling me three times a day for two weeks. Oops guess I should do this then maybe those blood sucking telephone operators can give it a rest for a bit...what a crappy job, really I should think of what they do whenever I am feeling bad about my lack of career and direction. Suckas!"


Two minutes later filling out my bank info on a form that I clicked to from the 'bank message'

"Wait a minute...didn't I already give this info.....$%#& %$#% %^#$ this is not my stupid bank....would their email address end in @sympatico.ca. UUUUHHHHH I am an idiot.....Oh my GOD someone may have my information RIGHT NOW. Frick I am such a tool. Ok ok ok call the bank..."


So I did and told them that about the email and to watch for unusual activity. Then I changed my password and called t to tell him about the situation. As always he told me not to worry I did the right thing. The right thing would have been not clicking that link!

2 minutes later her gets an email entitled "cannot breathe" from his lovely if a bit crazy wife,

"oh my god t i am scared that they have my info...i think i am having a minor panic attack...."

(I should just reiterate how lucky I am to have someone that loves me even though I can get myself worked up in less that 3 minutes and then proceed to stress myself to the point of no return)

He very nicely suggested that perhaps I should just cancel my cards for peace of mind...I think it was his peace of mind but it was good call and that is just what I did.

So I owe an apology to the people at VISA and my bank. Thanks for cancelling my cards and not thinking that I was a total nard for clicking a link into a totally FAKE email.
And yes...I will call you back about adjusting my savings account.

No comments: