Wednesday, July 25, 2007

oishii

t and i had a t & t adventure on Sunday. it is an asian market full of asian treats. i love going there even though the last time we were there a very tiny Chinese lady rammed her cart into the back if my thighs and i made the mistake of pushing back, and she went off like a swear word siren. lucky for me it was in Chinese, but it is noted that as a tall white girl i am NOT allowed to do the push back ever. anyhoooo, this trip was so fun. i love seeing all the fruits and vegtables i was used to seeing and eating while i was overseas ( i spent 1.5 years in asia). it made me miss japan even more. but i did get to scoop up some of my Japanese favourites including these chip-like treats we call Calbee. they are soybean shaped and green and have the texture of a cheeto. weird yes..delish, absolutely. we also purchased green plums which were very good, i have only ever seen purple ones but i think the green are better. i think my favourite part was when we decided to buy tuna as they have the best selection of fresh fish. so we wander through the maze of people to the counter and look at all the varieties of fish. i am not a huge fan of fish smell of seeing them lying on the ice but what made me squeal was when one of the fish heads (as in not attached to a body) opened and closed it mouth while its eyes moved. EW EW EEEEEEEW. while i was containing my squirmishness t tried to ask for tuna, one guy looked at us confused and pointed to a lady for us to pose our question. so t tried her...she walked us over to the fish and drew her arm like vanna white over the fish counter as if to say “here is the tuna” except that there were about 7 different fish lying there. since we don’t know how to recognize tuna in its uncanned form (ok maybe just me) we gave up. sigh..... it is pretty cool when you are in white, red-neck Alberta and there is an entire grocery store where people don’t speak English. I love it.

2 comments:

Dx said...

Sounds like a great day out. We love asian food and go to Glasgow where there are lots of small asian shops selling everything from food and spices to clothes, jewellery and trinkets. It's great. I'm like you when it comes to uncanned tuna.

Stepiphany said...

I love Calbee! (I don't know what it's really called). And by the way, you are awesome - I just saw that I'm a '[person] full of goodness' in your links section and it made me so happy! As soon as I figure out how to do that, your blog is going right up there!