Friday, August 15, 2008

Broken wrists and small towns

Mazatlan was a real treat...good weather, friendly people and a whole lot cheaper than the Baja.

We did a little surfing though the locals are pretty territorial and since I am still new to it I would rather not deal with cocky guys who are going to take every wave anyway. We ate delicious food everywhere...including my new favourite drink "limonada con pepino" which is lemonade with cucumber. So amazingly good I think I drank about 5 in four days...hmmmmm! And the highlight of craziness was fishing with Jim, the owner of our bed and breakfast.

We rolled out of the dock at about 7:15am in one teeny boat and proceeded to fish for bait fish, in which yours truly caught a few, and then we headed out for his first marker in search of dorado. I am all for fishing but this guy was seriously SERIOUS about fishing. Once T hooked a fish it was all on...T's pulling the fish in, Jim is screaming at him not to let go and to take his time and I am thinking that I might get rocked of the boat. T did pull in a big dorado and then Jim hooked it through the head with the gaff....this is exactly why if I had to catch, kill and clean my own meat products I would so be a vegetarian. Anyway I was game to try so I too ended up hooking a 12 pound dorado and dang! those things are so strong. I was sure I was going to get sent over the side of the boat, it actually felt like my wrists could have snapped off. T decided it would be funny to tape so we had a small movie of my trying to pull the fish up while singing out a stream of expletives. Charming. I will be dubbing over them. Anyway T helped me out and laughing at me and we managed to get it into the cooler. It was pretty fun but five hours later I was wondering if I would actually have to pee off the side of the boat or in the bucket Jim nicely told me about. Fortunately we headed back and since I had purposely not had much water I made it to shore! YAY! No peeing off the boat for me.

So we left Mazatlan after eating our dorado with mango salsa and now we are currently hanging out in a great little town called Sayulita which is a thirty minute drive north of Puerto Vallarta. We ended up here based on a conversation we had the night before we left Mazatlan and we thought we should check it out. It is awesome! Good waves for beginners, good waves for real surfers and a really great town. It might be on the first places we have been in Mexico where the gringos and the Mexicans have a really great relationship. Apparently it was founded by both Mexicans and foreigners so perhaps that is why everyone gets along so well. Either way it is always a pleasure to be in a place where everyone will smile and wave hello to you.

No comments: